Gabriola Edition  July - Sep, 1891
July 10



     The steady progress made by the New Vancouver Coal Company at the Shaft on Protection Island Point, has brought with it a demand for a steady and copious supply of water. The Nanaimo Water Works Company have under contemplation the laying of a main pipe across the harbor, say from Johnson's wharf to the Island, the distance being about one mile. By that means water will be supplied to the engines, the inhabitants and the shipping.

July 11


     Mrs. Janet Taylor, wife of Mr. William Taylor and daughter of Mr. Alex Hoggan of Gabriola Island, died this morning at the residence of her husband.

     The funeral was set for this afternoon but delayed for an inquest to be held.

July 11

On the Body of Mrs. Taylor.

     The inquest on the body of Mrs. Janet Taylor, who died this morning in this city, was held this afternoon before J. P. Planta, coroner.

     The following jury was impannelled:--G. M. McBain, foreman; Geo. Williams, Thos. Dixon, Neil Boyd, James Gordon, R. Gourley, D. Bowen.

     The coroner explained the law to the jurymen in regard to finding out the cause of death, and said that if deceased had not been attended by any lawfully qualified practitioner who could give evidence as to cause of death, it was within his power to call any such practitioner he chose to give necessary evidence.

     Harry B. Shaw, boatbuilder, sworn:-- Deposed to knowing Mrs. Taylor when alive. On Sunday last she was out in one of my boats and to-day I hear she is dead. I've not seen her since Sunday. I heard she died of diptheria. My father wanted wood sent to her mother, Mrs. Hogan, on Gabriola Island. I don't know who she was attended by.

     Thomas Hardy, not sworn, said he had not attended the deceased.

     He was sworn as he wished to testify.

     "I don't know if she was attended by any legal practition. On Tuesday last, Mr. William Taylor, husband of deceased, came to my store and asked for some medicine for a sore throat. I gave him a gargle and a liniment to rub the throat with. He took it away. That's all I know about it. He said they all had sore throats. He said his sister-in-law was in the house and his wife and he himself had a sore throat. They all had sore throats. I did not attend her. I am a Botanic chemist. I saw her the third day in her house. I did not prescribe for her. Mr. Taylor came to my store and told me his wife had got out of bed while he was out and had fainted and was lying on the floor.

     He asked me to go up and stay with her while he hunted up someone to wait on her. I went. He was away about half an hour. He said he couldn't get anyone. I told him he ought to have somebody to attend to her. I then left. I saw no more of them until I met Taylor on the street this morning when he told me his wife was dead. I gave deceased a drink of lemon water when I was there with her. She said she was thirsty. It was made out of cut lemon with boiling water poured over it. I don't know what caused her death.

     The jury came to the conclusion of having all the city and district doctors hold a post mortem examination, and give evidence thereon before the court.

     Court adjourned until eight o'clock this evening.

July 11


     Six weeks ago today Mr. Joseph Martin of Gabriola Island, was severely kicked in the head by a horse he was leading. He was then taken to the Hospital, the doctors giving no hope of his recovery. Last night the end came and Joseph Martin passed out of this life. He was aged 22 years, son of Mr. Jonathan Martin of Gabriola Island, and a native of this province. The funeral will take place at Gabriola Island to-morrow afternoon at 3 o'clock, the Rev. J. B. Good of St. Paul's Church, officiating; Mayor Hilbert having charge of the internment.

July 13


     The Body of the late Mr. J. Martin, who died at the Hospital on Saturday from the effects of a kick from a horse received about six weeks ago, was taken to his home on Gabriola Island on the same day. Yesterday, Sunday, the Rev. J. B. Good, Mayor Hilbert and his assistant, Mr, Gilligan, went to the Island and assisted at the internment which took place in the Gabriola graveyard. The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Good, and were held in the new school house and was very largely attended.

     God's Acre on Gabriola is one of the most beautiful spots in the district.

July 13


     Dr. J. P. Rice, sworn, testified that in accordance with the coroner's order he had made a postmortem examination of the body of the late Mrs. Janet Taylor, and from his examination he had no hesitation in stating that the cause of death was a very severe type of scarlet fever. This disease is the most contagious of all diseases. I saw the body of deceased in the coffin at ten o'clock this morning. I should think she had been dead then about six or seven hours as rigor mortis had set in. What I was told by people in the house. I gather that she had been under treatment for diphtheria by an unqualified man. I collected a few bottles of medicine in the house. They are in my possession now. I got them from her husband, William Taylor to-night. He said they had been used for gargles, and also for internal use to check diarhoea. They are in my bag. The husband has not consulted me professionally but stated to me to-night that he had a very sore throat.

     He has no symptoms of either diphtheria or scarlet fever. I shall see him in the morning. The sister of the deceased is now in the same house and suffering from a very severe type of scarlet fever. I was called to the house this morning to see her sister by her father, Mr. Alex. Hoggan. The contagious disease flag is now out. It was not out at 5 o'clock, although the information had been given to the City Clerk at 11 o'clock this morning to my certain knowledge. I was told this morning that someone, who is not a qualified practitioner, and in my opinion he had no right to do so without giving due notice to the public.

     Mr. Hardy's statement was then read.

     The Coroner said that the report in the Free Press was very good.

     Witness--That deposition conflicts with what was told me by deceased's husband and Miss Hoggan, who is now sick. Mr. Taylor told me Mr. Hardy was to the house three times to his certain knowledge on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thusday. He might have been there oftener, but he could not be certain, as he had been very worried. Miss Hoggan, deceased's sister, told me the same in substance. It was safer not to have brought Mr. Taylor to this inquest. I think deceased died between three and six o'clock this morning. I could not give an opinion as to how the case would have turned out under skilled treatment.

     Mr. Hoggan--Did she die with taking medicine, or for want of medicine?

     Witness--From my examination I am unable to answer one way or the other, except to say that if a thorough analysis of the contents of the stomach and intestines were made one would be able to determine if she had taken anything of a poisonous nature either in the shape of medicine or otherwise. Otherwise from my examination I am perfectly staisfied that the cause of her death was scarlet fever and could not state whether it was through neglect or want of proper medicine.

     Mr. Hoggan said that the child that took the medicine is alive, and the one that never in her life would take it is dead. She never would take anything, I wanted her to take castor oil yesterday and she would not, or she would be alive today.

     The Foreman--Did the deceased take any of the medicines you have before you which were taken from the house?

     Witness--From my own positive knowledge I am not aware that she did. The bottles are all half empty. It was stated by her husband and the other girl that she had taken some; he also specified for which particular function the separate bottles had been used. There were two other pint bottles this morning that contained medicine used in the treatment deceased, the contents of which have since mysteriously disappeared and the labels have been washed off one of them. The bottles were washed. The nurse was now in attendance and showed me them and is now prepared to swear that some of the contents had been used in treating the deceased.

     I believe Mrs. Grant, the nurse, was in attendance yesterday; she informed me that there was medicine in those bottles this morning at the time of my visit.

     To the Coroner--It would not be safe to bring the nurse here. She might be disinfected, but it would not be safe to have her here.

     A Juryman--How is it Mr. Hoggan is allowed here? He came from the house didn't he?

     Witness--I am not the quarantine officer. Scarlet fever is not like diphtheria, a distance of four feet is supposed to give immunity from infection; this is only theoretical.

     Mr. Hoggan--I have been there more than the nurse. She was not there yesterday.

     Witness--I merely have Mrs. Grant's statement in regard to the medicine being taken yesterday. My impression is that she told me that she was there.

     The Foreman of the Jury--What post mortem examination did you make and were any other doctors present?

     Witness--I made an ordinary superficial examination of the body and found rigor mortis well marked. She appeared fairly well nourished and about 25 years of age. There were undoubted signs of tippical [sic]scarlet fever. From the appearance of the skin and the history of the case I did not deem it necessary to proceed further as my time was limited. No other medical man was present. The nurse was there and the husband part of the time.

     To the jury--there were no poisonous symptoms visible on deceased. I was told the medicines, the large bottles came from the Botanical Chemist, Mr. Hardy. It is not unusual to have a fatal case of scarlet fever in an adult. I think the average mortality in this disease is about 30 percent. But this includes children. I think deceased should have had the most skilled treatment that could be brought to bear upon her disease. There was no quarantine on the house and people were going backwards and forwards from the house and no word was sent to the medical officer of health as the bylaw requires. A medical man would have at once isolated the house. To analyze the contents of the stomach and the medicines would take at least three weeks.

     Mr Hoggan was very anxious to terminate the sad affair as soon as possible as he feared further delay would result fatally to the other members of his family.

     Witness--There is nothing to indicate that death resulted from anything taken from those bottles.

     The jury expressed themselves satisfied with the external post mortem examination already made.

     Mr. A. Hoggan, sworn, testified that he was the father of the deceased Janet Taylor, who was aged 21 years; saw her on Friday afternoon; she appeared to be very feverish. She wanted to be taken home. I asked her if she had taken any medicine, and she replied "no". Her sister confirmed it. Her mother was over in Nanaimo on Tuesday and saw deceased who would not take any medicine from her. She wanted her to take castor oil. All the attendance deceased got was from her sister, who is now sick. My belief is it commenced when Taylor took my children over to Nanaimo on July 4th. They went from the Green to Taylor's. Taylor brought them home on Sunday. On Monday the whole six got down at the same time before night. We supposed the sickness came from the children of a gentleman living on the Esplanade, Capt. Land, who went to Taylor's house while my family was there. That Saturday night was the first day they had entered the house after the Land children left. The children had been sent there by Dr. Preager to escape sickness. The man that left the trouble at Lands died in San Francisco. That's what I am told. Dr. Praeger pledged his word that there was nothing contagious about the man's disease. Land told Mrs. Taylor that Dr. Praeger said so.

     Mrs. Grant was not with the deceased when I went to the house yesterday. I have tasted the medicine in all the bottles. The stuff in the large bottles was of no consequence at all; it was merely a drink. I don't know who made it up. It was a kind of lemonade. It was for quenching the thirst. Dr. Rice heard me call the disease scarlet fever when I called on him this morning.

     To Ald. Campbell--I know nothing about the medicines produced, but I am satisfied she didn't take any of them. If she had taken some castor oil she might have lived. The other sister, who took the medicines, was on Tuesday the worse of the two, is now getting on well. She has now fallen into Dr. Rice's hands and we shall see how he'll treat her.

     To the Jury--She must have been taking these medicines. The one who is living would always take anything that was given her. Some time ago the doctors took out some children from under the yellow flag and put them to school where my children were.

     The Coroner asked the jury to consider whether they deemed it necessary to adjourn the inquest in order to obtain the evidence of the husband.

     The jury conferred a few moments and then stated that they were satisfied with the evidence adduced. They then retired and on reassembling about 11 p.m., handed in a verdict: "death from a contagious disease, scarlet fever.

     The jury recommended that the proper authorities be more prompt in carrying out the by-laws of the city by placing the flag in position as soon as notified of the existence of a case of contagious disease. They also recommended that enquiry be made as to how the nurse came to leave the house when the disease was known to be contagious.

July 31


     A flat bottomed Skiff painted yellow, 26 ft. long and 6 ft. beam, with three broken oars. For particulars apply to

Protection Island.

August 1


     The Southwest Quarter of Section 20, Gabriola Island, containing about 83 acres is offered for sale.

Europe Hotel, Vancouver.

August 10


     Mr. Marshal Bray, Government Agent and Mr. J. Love, Road-Superintendent, visited Rocky Bay, North end of Gabriola Island, on Saturday, to locate the site for the proposed wharf. They have picked upon a spot close to the end of the present road, where a wharf can be made to deep water. It is not the most sheltered place in the bay but it was the only place to construct a wharf within a reasonable expenditure. This wharf will be a great boon to the Gabriola settlers, as it will enable steamers to call for their stock and produce.

August 10


     A Free Press representative in speaking to Mr. Bredmeyer, Mineral Assayer and expert of Vancouver, in regard to Texada Island, obtained the following particulars:--

     The Island will be valuable for its immense deposits of iron, copper, and marble, for there is not the slightest doubt of the extent and richness in this respect. In regard to the royal minerals, Mr. Baedemeyer is of the opinion that it would be unwise to depend on them for profit. So sanguine, however, is he in regard to the ability of Texada to furnish extensive and paying ledges, that he is willing to undertake their development for bare expenses, and take his renumeration out of profits, if any.

     The black marble of the Island has been tested by Mr. Hodgson at Henderson's Marble Factory, and found to take a beautiful polish. The sample the press man saw was too dark for cemetery purposes, but would be a superior article for mantels, table tops, and all ornamental work. It is to be hoped that the good work of prospecting Texada Island will proceed energetically, and practically. Mr. Bredemeyer says the prospecting of the past is only pot-holeing, and what is wanted is to go down 100, 200 or 300 feet, and not stop at 10 or 20 feet. He states that some of these days Texada will surprise the world, but it will require more enterprise and energy than has been displayed in the past.

August 12


     Mr. Aaron Watson, Steward of Nanaimo Hospital, begs to acknowledge the following kind donations to the above institution:--

     Isaac Snowden, two sacks of potatoes; Mr. Martin, Gabriole Is., mutton and eggs; Mrs. Riely, flowers and fruit; Mrs. Pawson, fruit and vegetables; Mr. Harry Lee, book.



Opposite the Literary Institute,


All Kinds of JOB WORK neatly Executed

August 17


     Tenders will be received by the undersigned up to the 22nd inst., 12 o'clock noon for building a wharf on North end of Gabriola Island.

     Plans and specifications can be seen at the Government Agent's Office, Nanaimo.

     Blank forms of agreement to execute bond must be procurred from the undersigned.

     The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted.

Ass't Com Lands & Works.
Nanaimo, B. C., Aug. 11th, 1891.

August 22


     All persons are notified not to trespass on that portion of land on Valdez Island north of the Indian Reserve, and known as the Wake Estate. Poison meat has been laid for the destruction of wild animals.

G. C. FOX.
August 21st, 1891.

August 22


     A report was current that four men of the ship America had been absent several days, and it was thought they were drowned. However, they returned last evening O. K. having been fishing near Entrance Island Light for the previous two days.

August 24


     A party consisting of Mr. and Mrs. A. Raper and family, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Campbell, Mr. T. D. Jones, Mr. T. Hodgson, Mr. T. Morgan, Mr. W. E. Webb, Mr. J. W. Stirtan, Mr. Foreman, Mr. J. Miller and Mr. J. B. Cobourg, left for Texada Island in Campbell & Foreman's steam launch Saturday night 10 o'clock returning at 11:30 o'clock last night, making the run down against a strong head wind in 3 hours. The party had a very pleasant trip the little steamer standing the breeze of Saturday like a duck. The party brought down a number of fine quartz specimens from the claims in which they are interested. It is expected that before long there will be some rich developments in regard to the ledges on Texada Island. The faith that several of our citizens have in these ledges is worthy of a rich and lasting reward.

September 3


     Theo. Le Bouffe rancher from Gabriola Island is in town after looking after some machinery he is getting for his ranch. He reports crops in very good condition and expects a fine harvest.

September 2

Sudden Death of Mrs. Eliza Doney.

     This morning, Eliza Doney, wife of Mr. R. Doney, miner, dropped dead in the house of Mr. Thos. Eva, on Protection Island. It appears that the husband went to Hornby Island this morning, intending to be absent several weeks. Mrs. Doney who is a native of Staffordshire, England, aged 47 years, but lately from Iowa, United States, went into the house of Mr. Eva, and placing her hand on the shoulder of Mrs. Eva, and the other hand on Mrs. Eva's child, said "Good bye, Mary, I'm going to die." As soon as the words were uttered and without the slightest warning, the woman fell forward on her face dead. She made no further expression nor did she moan or breathe heavily. On the news being brought to town Mr. J. P. Planta, Coroner, went to the scene, and made enquiries on the spot. An inquest will be held at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning.

     No bottles of medicine could be discovered or any clue as to the cause of death. The deceased had no children of her own but two step-sons, John and William Doney work for the New V. C. Company. At their request the body was removed to Mayor Hilbert's Undertaking Parlors, to await the inquest and internment.

September 3


     An inquest was held at the court house this morning on the death of Eliza Donney of Protection Island, which occurred suddenly at about 9 o'clock on Wednesday morning, before Mr. J. P. Planta, coroner, and the following jury:

     Henry E. James, foreman, David Hoggan, Alfred Jenkins, Robert Evans, Patrick Cary and John B. Allan.

     Dr. Walkem, the first witness called, said he had made an examination of the deceased, and was of the opinion that deceased died of cerebral apoplexy caused by the excessive use of alcohol. On opening the body he could smell alcohol instantly. He found quite a large effusion of blood in the fourth ventricle of the brain, which was sufficient to cause death. He considered that the cause of death could not have been determined by a superficial examination.

     Mr. Brown was next called, who stated that he was in Thomas Eva's house--- where the death occurred--yesterday morning. He was in the house with Mary Eva and deceased. He saw Mrs. Donney counting some money. He heard her say "good bye Mary, I'm going." She then fell head first on top of a feather bed lying on the floor. He did nothing thinking she was asleep. Between 9 and 10 o'clock a man who came for some washing told him that Mrs. Donney was dead. Brown then felt her hand and it was cold, and saw that her face was black. As far as Brown knew deceased did not drink anything there. He then fetched her step-son, John Donney, who was working at the shaft.

     Mary Eva was the next witness heard. She said that what Brown had said was correct. Mrs. Eva stated that deceased was always happy, and never quarrelled with her husband or any one else.

     A step-son of the deceased, John Donney, gave evidence next. He said his father was away to Hornby Island. He left home on Tuesday evening.

     Being questioned as to the habits of his step-mother, he stated that she did not drink regularly, but when she got a bottle of whiskey she would drink it and throw the bottle away, a bottle lasted her two or three hours, she could then be about half-tight. She might get another bottle the next day or wait two or three days. He did not think she had any whiskey on the day of her death, as there was none in the house. He thought the time of the death of his step-mother that it was excessive drinking that had killed her. This was the last witness called. The jury gave a verdict in accordance with the evidence of Dr. Walkem.

September 10


     At the invitation of the Lower End Settlers, all the settlers of Gabriola Island have been invited to a grand pic-nic to be given at "The Maples," (Mr. Magnus Edgar,) a beautiful spot on the banks of the False Narrows. A gala time is expected, as all are entering into the reunion with earnestness and in a jovial spirit.

September 10


     Work has been commenced on the public wharf at Rocky Bay, north end of Gabriola Island.

September 16


     The double sculling match in which Martin and Dignan of Gabriola Island will row McLean and Murray, will come off on the Frazer River on Sept.22nd. The exact time is not settled. The boats in which the race will be made are exactly alike, and weigh 200 pounds.

     The stakes are $200 a side to which the Aquatic Sport Committee has added $100, making a total of $500 to be rowed for.

September 18


     Mr. Jas. McLay, J. P., of Gabriola Island, brought over today some specimens of the Yellow Egg plum, that beat anything we have heretofore seen for the size and flavor. Three of the plums will weigh 16 ounces. They are a fine example of what good soil, fine climate and judicious cultivation can effect. They would take first prize at any exhibition.

September 28


     About a dozen of our citizens, with their wives, who are interested in the quartz and iron claims on Texada, left on Saturday night on Whitfield's steamer, Esperanza, for that "Isle in the Gulf," returning at 10 o'clock last night. More specimens were obtained, and they feel there are hidden millions in Texada.

General Blacksmith