Gabriola Edition  October, 1888
Saturday, October 6

(Before the Hon. J.H. Gray)

     Friday, Oct. 5th.

     Cannessa vs. Hoggan - Mr. McKenzie, on behalf of Mr. Mills, applied for an order to amend the order made at the last court, by inserting the words "and on other grounds."

     Mr. McElmen, on behalf Cannessa, opposed the application on the ground that the amending words were too general in their application.

     His Lordship stated that, as this case had been heard and decided before Mr. Justice Crease, he would refer the application to him.

Saturday, October 6


     On Wednesday afternoon Mr. L. Rowan, wishing to go across to Gabriola Island to see Mr. Manly, engaged a sailor-looking man to row him across and invited Mr. Kaye to go with him. They started out and, when part of the way across, the man took off his hat and asked them to feel a healed up cut on his head and volunteering the pleasant information that it sometimes made him crazy. However, he pulled across all right, and they left the man on the beach while they went to one of the back fields to see Mr. Manly.

     On returning, they found that he had taken the boat across the bay and near Mr. Hoggan's landing. After a good deal of signalling and hollering, they succeeded in attracting his attention and he returned.

     As he came near the shore, Mr. Manly pointed out to him where the water was deep so that the boat could lay aside the rocks. The sailor man then commenced to abuse Mr. Manly in the most offensive manner and at the same time threatening to drown and kill Rowan and Kaye. They succeeded in pacifying the enraged and apparently frenzied man and started on the return trip.

     When getting near Protection Island, the man started again to threaten to drown the men and got up in the boat and, by taking hold of the mast, succeeded in careening the boat so that she partly filled with water.

     By this time it had become dark and the situation was anything but a pleasant one. The two men then seized and struck the man to prevent him carrying his threat into execution, and by this time they had reached shallow water off Protection Point, and Rowan jumped into the water, which was up nearly to his arm-pits, and the man tried again to drown them, and, as a matter of self-preservation, they had to handle the frenzied man rather roughly.

     They succeeded in getting on shore and at first decided to leave the sailor there and row to town, but on second thoughts, not knowing how the man was injured or what he might do to himself, decided to bring him to town.

     During all the time of the struggle, Rowan and Kaye made repeated loud calls for help, but not the slightest response came.

     They placed him in the boat, one of them keeping him down while the other paddled to town with one oar, the other having been lost in the scuffle. The journey across the harbor was a slow, tedious one, but at last the keel grated on the beach, and the sound was a most grateful one to Rowan and Kaye.

     The man, on being released, at once jumped out of the boat and ran briskly up the beach and into the city.

     The case will be heard in the Police Court at two o'clock this afternoon.

Wednesday, October 10

(Before His Worship, Mayor Bate)

     Saturday, Oct. 6th, 1888

     J.L. Rowan was charged with assaulting Richard Joy at, or near, Gabriola Island on Tuesday last.

     The evidence adduced was substantially the same as the account given of the "Perilous Journey" in the FREE PRESS of Saturday. The statement of the complainant was a rambling one and emphatically contradicted by the other witnesses for the prosecution.

     His Worship said the evidence did not sustain the charge, and it appeared to him the complainant must have been a little out of his mind to have acted as he did in abusing Mr. Manley and afterwards trying to drown Rowan and Kaye.

     Case dismissed.

     Mr. Scoullar for prosecution, Mr. Norris for defendant.

Treats all Chronic and Special

WHO MAY BE SUFFERING FROM the effects of youthful follies or indiscretions, will do well to avail themselves of this, the greatest boon ever laid at the altar of suffering humanity. DR. SPINNEY will guarantee to forfeit $500 for every case of seminal weakness or private disease of any kind which he undertakes and fails to cure.
Wednesday, October 17


     An inquest was held at Chemainus Court House on Monday by J.P. Planta, Coroner, and a jury consisting of Samuel Gray (foreman) Joe McDonald, A.N. Smith, F.W. Pafford, Joe Silvey, and Edward James, on the body of Sol-e-sum, alias Shaws, an Indian of Ty-at-kah tribe, found dead at Thetis Island on Sunday.

     Constable Mainguy conducted the proceedings and the following depositions were taken.

     Swolash, a woman of Klemklemlits, sworn and examined through Elizabeth Curran, who interpreted, deposed:

     "Deceased is my husband. We live at Lyax-on on Valdez Island. We were camped on the beach at Thetis Island, near Mr. Severne's place, on Saturday.

     "At about dark my husband eat some shellfish - mussels. I did not eat any; I was making bread.

     "Shortly after eating the mussels my husband began to be ill, and he was ill all the time till he died about 12 o'clock Saturday night. We went up towards Mr. Severne's house.

     "My husband died in the field not far away from the house. After he felt ill he drank a lot of salt water.

     "No one struck my husband or did anything to him to cause his death. We were just our two selves together.

     "When he died I went down to the beach and got blankets with which I covered him up, and I staid with him, but I was cold. I wanted to get to Mr. Severne's house but could not do so.

     "I do not want to say any more."

     By a juror - "We were all alone when Sol-e-sum died."

     By foreman - "I knew before that time that mussels were poisonous but thought there was no danger there."

     By Coroner - "I had been married to Sol-e-sum six months. I wanted to get a cure for my husband from Mr. Severne."

     George Porter of Thetis Island, sworn, deposed:

     "I am staying at Mr. Severne's.

     "On Saturday night last, 13th instant, at about dark, I heard what I thought was a drunken Indian and klootchman. On next morning (Sunday) I went down into the field and saw the last witness (Swolash) sitting next to an Indian who was rolled in a blanket, about 100 yards away from Mr. Severne's house.

     "The klootchman partly uncovered the Indian, who appeared to me to be dead. The body viewed by the jury, on being sworn, is the same body.

     "I went for Mr. Severne who examined the Indian, but could discover no sign of life.

     "We then went down to the beach and examined the canoe belonging to the deceased but saw nothing there that gave rise to suspicion of foul play.

     "We got the assistance of Mr. Perkington and took the body to the house, placing it by the kitchen fire."

     By Coroner - "I did not see any mussels or mussel shells lying around the camp on the beach, but my attention had not been drawn to mussel eating as a possible cause of the Indian's death. I do not see any bottles near the canoe."

     Henry Severne of Thetis Island, sworn, deposed:

     That he could corroborate Geo. Porter's evidence and said, "I should like to add that the klootchman did not come to my house to my knowledge. After we found that the man was dead, I brought my sloop round, put the body in the canoe, and brought it over to Chemainus, where I arrived at 2 o'clock on Sunday."

     By foreman - "There were no marks of violence on the deceased's body. I know of no other cause of death than that which the deceased's klootchman has assigned."

     Charlie Peters, a Penelecut Indian, sworn, deposed:

     "Last Friday, I and my klootchman, Tsameston, and another Indian eat a kettleful of mussels. When we had done so our fingers got numbed and the numbness spread up our arms. Our lips swelled, and our eyes became dizzy. We could hardly see. My klootchman and the other Indian was very ill.

     "I got some of this (producing a sprig of Oregon grape vine) and got them to chew some of the leaves and drink warm water. I did the same. We vomited the mussels and got all right again."

     The Coroner asked the jury if they desired to have a post mortem examination by a medical man.

     The jury were of opinion that it was not necessary and brought in a verdict "that the said Sol-e-sum, alias Shaws, had come to his death by reason of his having eaten poisonous mussels on the 13th October inst., at Thetis Island."

Saturday, October 20


     The numerous specimens of fruit sent to this office during the present season are a sure and certain indication of the adaptability of the soil and climate of Vancouver and adjacent islands to grow magnificent fruit.

     Mr. Wm. M. Flewett of the main DeCourcey island, about ten miles distant from Nanaimo, has left at this office a beautiful red apple weighing, when picked, twenty ounces. It is from a graft only three years old. The cutting was obtained from an orchard at Plumper Pass, about twenty-five miles south.

     Mr. Flewett does not know the name of the apple, but believes the parent tree came from Australia. The apple is from the first tree he ever grafted, and he feels justly proud of the fruit of his skill and labor.

     Mr. D.R. Roberts of Mudge Island, adjoining the DeCourcey Group and on official maps named as one of the group, has also placed on our table a number of mammoth apples grown on his farm. They are of the 20-ounce variety and certainly are a credit to the province, Mudge Island, and Mr. Roberts. Four of the apples weighed 5 1/4 pounds, the largest weighing 1 1/2 pounds.

     Mr. Timothy O'Sullivan, of Selby Street, Nanaimo, has also laid on our table several large and beautiful apples grown in the orchard at his residence. They are magnificent specimens of the skill and ability of Mr. O'Sullivan and also show, with equal force, the adaptability of the soil for fruit culture. The largest of the specimens turned the scales plump at a pound and a half.

     The question wells up in our mind, Why do we import tons upon tons of apples and other fruit every year where we could just as well raise them on our own soil and keep the money circulating in our midst?

     There are thousands of acres of land on Vancouver and the adjacent islands that would make a most profitable return if set out in orchards and properly cared for.

     What has made California, Oregon, and Washington Territory the prosperous communities they are, but the cultivation of her lands. British Columbia offers nearly equal advantages, in the matter of land, to those states, and it only requires equal enterprise on the part of our settlers to bring about similar results within a few years.

     The coal mines and other industries open up a splendid market to the agriculturist and horticulturist which, we are surprised, has not been taken advantage of. There is a splendid opening in this vicinity for the establishment of orchards.

Saturday, October 20


     The steamer SIR JAMES DOUGLAS left on Thursday with a supply of Wellington coal for the Point Atkinson Lighthouse.

     The new fog alarm at the lighthouse will be tested and, if found to work satisfactorily, will be accepted by the dominion government.

     While we do not have near as much fog on this side of the gulf as our friends at Burrard Inlet, still there are times when fog signals are required here. That being the case, there should be a fog signal established at the Entrance Island Lighthouse.

Saturday, October 27


     Yesterday afternoon the team attached to O'Brien & Dunlap's Express started from Front Street and tore down Commercial Street, across the bridge, and into the Shamrock Stables. The driver, Raymond Neill, pluckily held on to the reins and guided them safely along the street. On reaching the bridge the traces broke, letting the horses free, the wagon going 100 yards from the impetus obtained.

     Mr. J. Degnen, of Gabriola Island, was in the wagon at the time and devoted his entire energies to a powerful application of the brakes. But very little damage was done to the wagon or the horses, while the occupants escaped clear.

Saturday, October 27


     Mr. J. P. Planta, S.M., left yesterday morning for Chemainus to hold a court. It appears that Constable Mainguy took a young Englishman named Arthur Worthington, who has shown signs of insanity, to Victoria.

     On the constable's departure, W.H. Curran, familiarly known as "the Third Candidate," and a friend started to "paint Chemainus red," all because Mr. Sam Gray, of the Chemainus Hotel, refused to give them whiskey.

     Mr. Planta returned in the afternoon and, during his short visit, heard all the evidence in the case and placed Curran under bonds to keep the peace for 6 months - himself in $500 and one surety of $200, and pay costs.

     Curran's first lieutenant, in the raid on Chemainus, gave his name as John Brown and nationality, a Canadian Frenchman, was fined $10 and costs.

     Several Indian whiskey cases were also summarily disposed of.